Friday, February 7, 2014

Unemployment extension denied

On February 6, the New York Times posted this article about the unemployment extension the democrats were trying to enforce but was denied. They were trying to get a 3 month extension added on to the unemployment benefits so people could have a longer time when looking for jobs. In my opinion, I some what dislike the idea of long-term unemployment benefits. I believe that too many people take advantage of unemployment and act like they are trying to get a new job but really just taking a long vacation. There really isn't a way to determine if someone really can't get a job so this makes it hard to check if someone is being truthful and deserves unemployment or not.

Although, I do know that there's a lot of people out there who are truly desperate and really can't find a job. There's really people out there who have a degree and can't find work or have to settle for a way lower paying job. This just shows how bad our economy is right now and I don't think extending unemployment benefits will fix the economy. I think unemployment is causing a rise in debt to our country. This article has shown me that most of the U.S. would like unemployment benefits to extend which really shows how desperate our nation is right now for jobs. I think this article was important because it informs people that our government is now trying to be more conservative with unemployment benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment